LISTEN TO AUDIO:
Pet Services Training
How can Pet Services use Geo-Fencing?
Veterinarians, Pet Cemeteries, Grooming, Training, Pet Boarding, Kennels and Guard Dogs Services,
Pet services cover an assortment of different services and businesses. The pet industry is quite large and it continually grows as more and more families and individuals adopt new pets. Many people consider their pets to be a member of the family, sometimes treating them better than other family members. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote these types of businesses to specific demographics using our special targeting groups.
- Do you offer veteran, first responder or any other type of discounts? With Geo-Fencing, we can help get that information out in front of the community using our special targeting groups.
- Every one with a pet is looking for a reliable and competent veterinarian/groomer/trainer to help care for the needs of their furry friend. I hope to get your name in front of them, using Geo-Fencing we will help you let them know you support them with our targeting groups.
- Most folks often think of their animals as family, and when they pass away, it is like a family member has died. We are looking for a quality and supportive cemetery to help these folks in their time of need, using Geo-Fencing we’ll help you let them know you support them with our targeting groups.
- Many folks prefer to shop for their pet supplies with smaller businesses because they like the close relationships they can build, using Geo-Fencing we’ll help you let them know you support them with our targeting groups.
- Many of our older community need help with obedience training. I hope you’re the company that can work with them because with Geo-Fencing we’ll help you get their services out there with our targeting groups.
- Many pet owners do not have time to visit a store-front to get their pet grooming needs handled. They need a quality mobile groomer that is quick and reliable with the service they need done and with Geo-Fencing we’ll help you let them know about your business with our special targeting groups.
- Dog trainers can benefit greatly from advertising. Our Heroes love their pets, and our Heroes would love for their pet to be trained by a supportive trainer, using Geo-Fencing we’ll help you let them know you support them with our targeting groups.
- For our pet lovers, finding a trustworthy kennel where they can leave their treasured pet is a big deal. People love their pets, and they want to find a boarding kennel that will love them just as much. Some of our older community consider their pet their only friend so using Geo-Fencing we’ll help you let them know you support them with our special targeting groups.
Pet Services I: Veterinarians and Pet Cemeteries
Veterinarians are doctors who specialize in working with animals. Veterinarians care for the health of animals and work to improve public health. They diagnose, treat, and research medical conditions and diseases of pets, livestock, and other animals. Most veterinarians work in private practice and have their own veterinary clinics, but some team up with other veterinarians to create larger clinics and even animal hospitals.
Veterinarians in private clinical practices treat the injuries and illnesses of pets and other animals with a variety of medical equipment, including surgical tools, x-ray and ultrasound machines. They provide treatment for animals that is similar to the services a physician provides to treat humans. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote anything a veterinarian does to the right demographic using our special targeting groups.
Veterinarians typically do the following:
- Examine animals to diagnose their health problems
- Diagnose and treat animals for medical conditions
- Treat and dress wounds
- Perform surgery on animals
- Test for and vaccinate against diseases
- Operate medical equipment, such as x-ray machines
- Advise animal owners about general care, medical conditions, and treatments
- Prescribe medication
- Euthanize animals
To build value, ask the Veterinarian if they do any of the above.
Types of Veterinarians
Just as there are many types of doctors, there are many types of vets. Some focus on livestock or house pets, while others may specialize in dentistry or surgery. They may work in a veterinary clinic or zoo, working specifically with the animals housed there, or travel to farms to work with livestock. Since horse racing and other equestrian activities are so popular, some vets are trained to work just with horses.
- Private practice veterinarians: This is the most popular type of veterinarian, and many of these professionals work at clinics. They may also go to farms to care for livestock that can’t be transported to the clinic.
- Teaching and research: These vets work at veterinary schools, training students who are planning on joining the veterinary field. They may also work in college labs conducting research pertaining to animal health.
- Regulatory medicine: These vets work closely with diseases rather than animals themselves. Their responsibilities include controlling or eliminating illnesses, and protecting the public from diseases in animals. They may also work with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Services.
- Public health: These vets are also known as epidemiologists. They work for cities, counties, states or federal agencies to help control and prevent animal and human disease. Public health vets may work for the FDA to determine the safety of medicines and food additives.
- Uniformed services: The U.S. Army Veterinary Corps employ these vets. They’re responsible for biomedical research and development.
- Private industry: These vets go to school solely for positions in pharmaceutical and biomedical research. They work in labs that produce chemicals, drugs and vaccines for both humans and animals.
Selling to Veterinary Clinics
As a sales agent calling veterinary clinics, you’ll be lucky if you get an opportunity to speak to the veterinarian. Usually there is only one in the office, and they stay busy with pet patients. If you can get a chance to talk to the doctor, that is great, but generally, the person you are going to want to talk to is the office manager. Typically, the office manager in a veterinary office is given a lot of authority over what happens, they may even be directly involved in the marketing for the business. Be prepared to work with or even through the office manager.
Success Tip: The truth is, many people love their pets more than they do other humans. Pet lovers, especially those whom have built strong relationships with their animals, go to great lengths to take care of them. Unless the office manager or veterinarian has a personal pet-connection, the sale is going to be made on emotion. Build the link between the community, their pets, and the services of the veterinarian.
At the other end of trying to keep a pet healthy and alive is what has to be done after the animal dies. Believe it or not, a large percentage of the population treat their pets as though they were a member of the family. Some people will treat their animals better than other humans. Pet cemeteries have been around almost as long as conventional cemeteries and they involve just as much emotion. Pet cemeteries are concerned with the safe and humane disposition of all pets after their passing. It is their business to help pet owners with important decisions at a very difficult time. Fundamentally, a pet cemetery provides much of the same services as a traditional cemetery, and they care for and respect the dead in the same way. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote their services to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
Pet cemeteries offer a number of different services and methods of honoring a pet. Many pet owners select to have their pet buried much in the same manner as a family manner. Animal-sized caskets can be purchased ranging in price from $50 for a basic model to 3 or $4,000 for a customized model. Pet cemeteries offer owners the opportunity to hold a memorial service to honor their pet and say their final goodbyes.
Cremation is another service offered by pet cemeteries. Cremation is the process of reducing the body of a pet, through high heat and evaporation to its basic mineral form, which we commonly call ash, the proper term being cremains. Cremation is the accepted manner of disposition, endorsed by animal lovers and doctors, and give the pet owner to keep their pet’s ashes.
Some pet cemeteries also have scatter gardens. A scatter garden is a dedicated plot of land that is used for scattering remains after cremation has taken place. Many pet scatter gardens allow you to memorialize your pet by adding your pet’s name to a marker. With Geo-Fencing, ask pet cemeteries if they have a scatter garden because it builds value and is something we can put on the ad and target the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
Taxidermy has always been a way to memorialize a pet, but that service is generally not done by a pet cemetery or pet mortuary. However, a new service type is emerging, and many pet cemeteries are beginning to offer the service. “Pet freezing” is a pet preservation technique where the animal goes through a preparation process and is then freeze dried. Not many pet owners are into this type of memorialization, but it is available. Ask if they offer this type of service so we can target specific demographics using our special targeting groups.
Overall, pet cemeteries operate in much the same manner as a traditional cemetery, only the residents are smaller. They have caretakers to look over the grounds and pet owners are allowed to visit their memorialized pets and even leave objects (most pet owners will leave something pet-related, like a chew toy, rather than flowers).
When talking to owners/directors of pet cemeteries treat them just as you would an owner or director of a “normal” cemetery. You need to remember, just as with the funeral directors, cemeteries are dealing with the very solemn subject of death. Try to connect with them on an emotional level to help open them up to the idea of supporting the local pet loving community. In fact you can even slide in a comment about how most of them treat their animals better than they do family. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote their services to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
Pet Services II: Grooming, Training and Other Pet Services
Most people like their pets to look their best. It is very easy for an animal, especially those that have a lot of hair, to become scruffy and messy. Some people will purposely select animals that require little grooming, but those with moderate to high maintenance animals will usually use professional services to help are for their animals grooming needs. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote their business to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
Dogs make up the largest part of the pet grooming industry. There are many different breeds with many different physical characteristics and many different grooming needs. While there is no licensing, a pet groomer generally has extensive knowledge of different breeds and the proper way to groom them. Many groomers get certified through technical schools specializing in pet grooming. Some of the larger pet stores, like PetCo© and Pets Mart will pay to send groomers to classes to learn the trade. Build value by asking what type of breed they generally work with. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote their services to right demographic using our special targeting groups.
Services Typically Provided by Pet Groomers
- Shampoo and wash fur
- Option of hand blow dry or towel dry
- Nail clipping
- Teeth cleaning
- Ear cleaning
- Hair cut/style
- Basic massage
Ask pet groomers if they offer any type of services listed above.
Staff at groomers know that there is inherent risk when handling animals, and they are familiar with being snapped at or bitten. The office of a pet groomer is generally loud as well, especially if there are many animals there not used to being around other animals. Groomers need to be very patient and understanding that they are dealing with animals that are in an unusual situation different from their regular daily routine.
Mobile pet grooming allows busy owners to have their pets grooming needs handled without having to schedule time to visit a store-front. Mobile units will visit the owner’s house and take care of the animal there, without removing it from its familiar surroundings.
Mobile groomers typically have their own water and power supplies. Some groomers prefer that owners not be present for the actual grooming session to prevent the pet from becoming excited, but some do not mind, especially if the pet seems calmer in the owner’s presence.
As stated before, dogs are the largest portion of the grooming industry, but many cat owners will also seek the services of a groomer. Cat grooming generally involves bathing, brushing, nail trim, and ear cleaning. Some owners will have their cat’s fur cut as well.
Success Tip: As a sales agent, you will generally want to speak to the owner or manager. Pet grooming companies are typically small businesses and remain fairly busy. Your connection is going to be based on the fact that much of the community have pets and they want them to be taken care of by a quality groomer that supports them.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 Occupational Outlook Handbook lists the median salary for a pet groomer as $12.45 per hour ($25,580 yearly). Depending on the area of the country and clientele, some pet groomers can make upwards of $50,000 per year. Appeal to their emotions by saying how getting their name out there to the community can potentially bring more clients and income for them.
Many different animals can go through a training regimen, but dogs are the largest portion of the animal training market. For this reason, we will focus on dog trainers, but the same techniques and sales strategies can be used with all animal trainers.
Dog training is a career that combines knowledge of animal behavior with practical teaching skills. Patience, consistency, and excellent communication skills (both verbal and nonverbal) help a trainer to effectively teach their canine and human clients. Yes, the owners are often a part of the training process.
There are more than 78.2 million dogs in the United States alone and that number continues to grow each year. Demand for dog training services is expected to increase over the next ten years. Ask if they do any training for service dogs.By saying that, you build value off of emotion, so tell them how Geo-Fencing can promote their business and services to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
A dog trainer is responsible for using a variety of learning techniques to effect behavioral changes. Such learning techniques may include a combination of desensitization, operant conditioning, positive reinforcement, clicker training, hand signals, verbal cues, and reward systems.
Dog trainers must also communicate with owners who take classes with their pets and are responsible for reinforcing teaching methods at home. A good trainer can clearly convey training methods and plans with the owner to increase their effectiveness. Trainers may also assign “homework” exercises for the dog and owner to work on between classes. Trainers must have patience as it may take a number of classes for the dog to learn the desired behavior. Ask trainers how many animals or dogs they have worked with.
The vast majority of dog trainers are self-employed, though some may work for a head trainer or as a part of a pet store’s obedience training program. Trainers may also be employed by animal shelters, veterinary clinics, or boarding kennels.
Trainers may offer group lessons, private lessons, or home visits. Trainers may specialize in obedience, behavioral modification, aggression management, therapy or service dog training, agility, show dog handling, puppy training, trick training, and a variety of other areas. Specialization in working with specific breeds is also an option. With Geo-Fencing, we can promote any service they provide to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
A dog trainer’s salary varies widely based on their level of experience, the area of expertise, education, and certifications. Trainers that own their own business tend to earn more than those employed by other trainers or pet businesses. Salary may also be affected by the type of classes offered, as specialty classes or private lessons will generate higher fees per hour.
The median rate for animal trainers is listed in the Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 Occupational Outlook Handbook as $14.68 per hour ($29,580 yearly), though this figure includes all animal training professions (not just canine). The highest 10% of animal trainers earned more than $57,580 ($28.76 per hour) according to the BLS. Appeal to their emotions by saying how getting their name out there to the community can potentially bring more clients and income for them.
Success Tip: Dog trainers can benefit greatly from advertising. The key is going to be making the connection between the community and the dog training. People love their pets, and the community would love for their pet to be trained by a supportive trainer.
Pet Supply Stores and Feed Shops
Pet supply stores and feed shops are retail outlets which focus on food, toys and other items for animals. These retailers can be small businesses or large corporations. Their primary source of income is the sale of animal-related products. If they offer a discount, build off of that to let them know we can promote that to the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
Success Tip: Many pet owners prefer the close relationships that can be built with smaller businesses, and when it comes their pets, they want to do business with someone they can trust. Smaller businesses are good at building trust, and people want to work with businesses that support them.
Pet Boarding and Kennels
If a pet owner is going to be away on business or vacation for an extended period of time, they will often entrust their pets to boarding kennels to make sure they are not neglected. There are a wide-range of different boarding kennel types. Some are very basic with all the animals sharing a room, others have private rooms for each animal, but they all provide basic necessities to the animals.
Many kennels will administer medications the animal may need, but if the animal has extensive health problems, the owner will generally find a kennel that has a veterinarian on call or on staff.
There are for-profit kennels and non-profit kennels. For-profit kennels are run like motels for animals and the purpose is to take in as much business as possible. Non-profit kennels are generally run by local municipalities and have a number of volunteer workers. Non-profit kennels are either no-kill, where the kennel does not euthanize any animals, or low-kill, where the kennel only eliminates animals under certain circumstances.
Prices for a boarding kennel can range anywhere from $20 per day to over a thousand per day depending on the amenities and clientele. A kennel in Beverly Hills is going to charge a lot more than a similar kennel in Phoenix. Due to the wide range of kennel prices, it is difficult to pinpoint a salary for a kennel worker. By asking if they are a for-profit or non-profit kennel or offer a Veteran, first responder or any other type of discount it builds value because that is something we can promote on their ad and target the right demographic using our special targeting groups.
Success Tip: For pet owners, finding a trustworthy kennel where they can leave their treasured pet is a big deal. Everyone loves their pets, and they want to find a boarding kennel that will love them just as much.
Pet Services: Killer One-Liners
- Most pet lovers are looking for a reliable and competent veterinarian/groomer/trainer to help care for the needs of their furry friend. With Geo-Fencing, we can get your name in front of the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
- Pet owners often think of their animals as family, and when they pass away, it is like a family member has died. We are looking for a quality and supportive cemetery to help them in their time of need.
- Do you offer veteran, first responder or any other type of discount? If Yes.. Perfect! We can promote that to the right demographics using our special targeting groups. If No.. By offering a discount, it can help bring business and with Geo-Fencing, we can target the right demographics using our special targeting groups.
- Many pet owners prefer to shop for their pet supplies with smaller businesses because they like the close relationships they can build. With Geo-Fencing we can promote your services to the right demographics within the community by using our special targeting groups.
- Many of our older community need help with obedience training. I hope you’re the company that can support them.
- Many pet owners do not have time to visit a store-front to get their pets’ grooming needs handled. They need a quality mobile groomer that is supportive of the service they have done.
- Doesn’t it make smart business sense to market directly to the right demographics that can potentially use your services with Geo-Fencing?